Thursday, May 15, 2014

Something Here and There

Palacky University / Czech Republic

Packing and Traveling
-Specifically, what kind of linens did you need to bring?
I brought a pillow case and a blanket.

-What are you glad you packed from home?
All my personal stuff so that I wouldn’t have to find it here because some of the stuff is not sold in the Czech Republic.  Also, I’m glad I packed a rain coat.  It was very useful.  I wish I had brought food, such as chili powder, items that you will not find in the Czech.

-What do you wish you had left at home?
I wish I had left some of the clothes I brought. Some I didn’t wear too often.

-Do you have any travel tips to pass on (planning advice, safety considerations, guidebooks, train vs. bus, etc.)?
Always pay attention to where ever you go, just in case you have to go again on your own or get back to your hotel on your own. 

-What places would you advise future students to see and why?
I would advise them to see near towns, the country side, and to just take time to go into random places or shops in Olomouc because they will be surprised at what they will find.

Social Life
-How did you meet students from your host country?
First of all I met my roommates. I also met people by going to different national nights hosted every Wednesday at BelMondo club.  I met other students by going to social gatherings and volunteering events.

-How did you like to spend your free time and why? Is there anything you regret not doing more of in your free time?
I spent some of my free time watching one of my favorite shows from back home.  I also went running or just on walks.  Other times I went shopping, got some food and sat at a park, or read some books I brought from back home.  I wish I had gotten out of my room more often, especially in the first weeks, and just be outside doing things, exploring and meeting people.

-What opportunities for social, recreational, and cultural events that the host university or program offered did you like best? Why?
I really liked the nights at BelMondo club because you had the chance to see a little bit of a different culture every Wednesday.  I did not attend all of them, but I did get to help out with Mexican and American night.  I also liked volunteering at Olomouc zoo because it was a very nice experience and you got to go to the zoo for free.  Other than that there really were not many other opportunities offered by the university.

-What piece of advice would you give future students regarding their non-academic life while abroad?
During the first weeks you will have a lot of free time.  Don’t stay in your room most of the time.  Go into town and explore the streets.  Take a walk on a random trail.  Once in a while, do chill in your room doing nothing because towards the last month of your stay you will be doing a lot of traveling and it will be exhausting. 

School Work
-How did your academic experience abroad differ from your U.S. experiences concerning?
Studying abroad did not feel as if I were going to school or taking a regular load of courses.  It was more relaxing and basically full of field trips, which I always enjoyed and learned a lot from.  It was not stressful.

-Relations with professors/classroom instruction?
The professors are very helpful and understanding.  They are happy to answer your questions and to teach you everything you would want to know.  They also give really good recommendations of places you should visit or check out.  It was easy to talk to all of them.

-Grading?
I had no problem with it.  The professor from UNK determined our final grades.

-Study habits?
I really didn’t have to study much during this academic experience because it was more about learning and experiencing the culture.  For that you don’t have to study.  You just take it in and it stays in your memory.

-Library?
I did not visit the library and I had no need for it.

-Computer access?
I brought my computer and we had no typed assignments, so I never accessed computers on campus.  You have to bring an Ethernet cable to get your computer connected in your room.

-What enabled/hindered your successful academic experience?
I feel that not speaking the language hindered part of my academic experience.  If I were to know Czech language, then I would have learned so much more and it would have also been easier to meet locals and actually converse with them and learn from them.  I also wished that the university would have more cultural and recreational opportunities for us, so that we would meet Czech students and have a more enriching experience studying abroad.

Money and Communications
-How much money in U.S. currency would you recommend students have at their disposal for their whole time abroad?
I would recommend $3,500 or more if they can.  If they are planning to do a lot of traveling and buying stuff, then the more money they have the better. 

-How much money did you have in foreign currency when you left for your program? Was it enough?
I had no foreign money.  Right when I got to Prague, I withdrew money from an ATM in the airport and it worked fine for me.

-How did you manage your money (credit cards, traveler’s checks, bank accounts etc.)? How and where did you access your money?
I just withdrew money from my bank account whenever I need some.  I let my bank know the countries I was going to visit so that there would not be any problem with my debit card.

-How much money did you spend on:
Books?  $10
School supplies?  $5
Food?  $500
Entertainment?  $100
Local transportation?  $50
Travel?  $1500
Personal items (toiletries)?  $100
Postage?  $0
Airfare? $1000
Laundry? $50

-How did you communicate with the U.S.? What would you recommend to future students (e.g. calling card, set up e-mail account and where, etc.)?
I used Facebook and Skype.  I would recommend Skype definitely. 

Other Comments/Tips:
Enjoy every second of this experience because it is totally worth it.  Don’t worry about small stuff just be patient.  Try to adjust to the rhythm of how people do things in the Czech.  For example, when going to a restaurant expect to be there a while because they take their time on everything.  Be friendly and just watch what the locals do.  You will learn a lot by just watching.


Please also list the “Top 10 Must-Do Activities” to experience during your time abroad.  Please give as much detail as possible (i.e.- Be sure to go to XXXXXX and ask for Mr. XXXXX as he loves to chat with students from the U.S., or Take bus #XX to the final stop where you can see a view of the city.) 
Don’t worry if you can’t come up with 10 activities…just list ones you feel strongly about! ; )
  1. Take a run or a walk on the trail that is near the dorms by the fields.  It takes them over a bridge and into the country side.  It is really peaceful and good when you just need to breathe some fresh air.
  2. Try the kebab place called “The Big Food Point” that is right next to Varna club, it is near the main square.  The kebabs are delicious and cheap!
  3. Try the Nepalese restaurant called “Crack”.  It is right next to Belmondo club.  They have buffet lunch and it’s cheap and the Nepalese food is amazing.
  4. Have an ice cream every day and try the different flavors.
  5. Visit any of the Vietnamese shops that are on the streets branching from the main square.  I don’t know how to describe the exact location, but like I said just go into random shops and you will find good stuff.  The Vietnamese shops have everything and it is cheap.
  6. Take a random bus and see where it takes you.
  7.  Get lost once in a while.
  8. Go to the main square on May Day, May 1st.  There are a bunch of shops and hand made things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment